Mattapoisett Free Public Library supports the 1000 Books before Kindergarten to help children and families establish a love for literature and reading at an early age. Read more about the program below. You can keep a paper log or use the Beanstack app to track your progress! Read more about this national program here.
Read a book (any book) to your newborn, infant, toddler or preschooler.
The goal is to have read 1,000 books before Kindergarten.
If you read just one book a night, you will have read about 365 books in a year.
That is 730 books in 2 years and 1,095 books in 3 years!
Studies have shown that reading with your child provides a great opportunity for bonding.
Reading together is fun and will create life-long memories for both of you!
How to Participate:
- Read with your child.
- Keep track of the titles you read. We can provide you with a log or you can use the Beanstack app.
- The same book can be read multiple times!
- Books read at the library, including Storytime, daycare, over at a friend or relative's home, etc. can count towards the goal of 1,000 books!
- We will celebrate every 100 books read, with extra special prizes for 500 books and 1,000 books read.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Who can participate? Any child not yet in Kindergarten.
- How long does the program take? The program will take anywhere from a few months to a few years depending on how often you read together.
- How many of my children can participate? All of them! Make it more fun and read as a family.